SmartEiffel has brought great things such as the first working implementation of non-conforming inheritance as well as well defined (should I say, just defined) conformance rules for agents.
SmartEiffel lost its steam, in my opinion, because:
- The code base is too complex. There is no way to understand it if you are not helped by the core team.
- The core team does not welcome any patch from the outside. It discouraged people to participate and since the users of a compiler are also technical people, users were lost.
- Everybody knew that the core team had a private list where every decision was taken. Not free.
- Some members of the core team had ideas that were not approved by the big boss. Too many no-no and core members got weary.
- The head of the core team seems to have mysteriously disappeared. The team lost all motivation.
I want Liberty to be:
- A striking example of good Eiffel code. That certainly means powerful, but above all simple and understandable.
- Released with batteries (and with simple technical means to add more batteries!)
- Interoperable with most mainstream languages (C, Java, .NET...)
- Available on most platforms.
- Really free, as in free speech.